Monday, June 2, 2008

About Me

I am currently in San Deigo, CA attending a conference for training and development professionals. I came by myself as I am the only person in this capacity at my job. I don't really like traveling alone, but since Steve is going to Alaska next month to visit his family, it really wasn't an option for him to come with me. As I spend time with myself, I am learning more and more about who I am.

I am an extremely extroverted person... at least according to personality type. Now, this doesn't mean that I am a super outgoing person, but more that I get my energy from being around other people. This is one of the reasons why training is such a good profession for me. I love to meet new people and learn more about their situations. By the end of a training session, I am usually physically exhausted, but mentally charged. My sister calls my personality "cynical bubbly," which I think is both hilarious and perfect.

I find, though, when I spend a lot of time alone, that I tend to withdraw and crave interaction with others. I have never been the kind of person who would go to a bar by myself in order to meet new people. I just don't have it in me. It is the same with this conference. I wish I knew someone else here so that I would be motivated to go and explore this new city, as it is my first trip to California. So, as I sit alone in my hotel room watching every bad movie on TV, I am realizing just how much I desire to be around upbeat people who will push me into things I wouldn't normally do on my own.

My friend Kristy drove down from Long Beach yesterday to see me and we really had a great time. She is so much fun to be around and I really miss working with her on a daily basis. There was a deep sadness on my part when she drove away to begin her two hour journey home. My current work situation is hard because I am basically a department of one. I really need to be working with other people who spark my creativity and passion for what I do. When you sit alone in a cubicle every day it is really difficult to be inspired. I think that I need to start writing again and see what comes out of it. I have several ideas for books, companies, and other silly things that seem to want to pour out of me but have been locked away into a vault whose combination I can't remember. I am not where I want to be and can't seem to force myself forward.

I need a change.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

It's a definite blessing to have the opportunity to learn about yourself and grow.

Having read a little bit of your writing, I vote for you to pick that back up! You're really talented!