Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Almost time to say goodbye

As most people know, at 30 years old I am still very fortunate to have one complete remaining set of grandparents. My mother's parents are 86 (Grandma Mary) and 85 (Grandpa Sam) years old. However, for the past few years, Grandpa's health hasn't been that great. It started about 6 years ago with a series of strokes which put him in a wheelchair. Anyone who has ever met my Pawpaw knows that he is a larger-than-life, Paul Bunyon kind of character with the most amazing stories and work ethic. My father can tell some stories of him not knowing his own strength and dropping things on my dad. But, in all, Grandpa is just an amazing man with a capacity to love like no other.

I got a call Saturday from my mother telling me that it was time to go say my goodbyes, if I wanted to. So, wiping the tears away from what I knew would be a blessing, I went to the nursing home to see what had become of my grandpa. He actually looks amazingly good. He was alert and lit up when I came into the room. He was trying intently to talk to me, but I wasn't able to understand much of what he said. I told him that I loved him very much and that it was ok for him to let go if he was ready. People have been begging him to get well, but I don't think that is the best think for him. He smiled at me and squeezed my hand and puckered up for a kiss.
He has not passed yet, but I feel the time drawing near. I will miss my pawpaw in a way that no one will ever know. He is a truly wonderful man, and I feel like the luckiest little girl in the world to have been his granddaughter. Here is one last picture to remember him by. I love you, Grandpa.



No comments: