Thursday, September 11, 2008

Hurricane Ike

I am so sick of hurricane season. Remind me again WHY I live on the Gulf Coast?? I guess there are dangerous acts of nature anywhere, but this storm season has been pretty stressful. Of course, the media plays right into that. OH MY GOD!!! WE ARE ALL GOING TO BE WIPED OUT! FLEE!! Oops... nothing. The hurricane that was supposed to hit us last week - Gustav... not one single drop of rain.

But Ikey boy seems to be bearing down on us, and I am not sure we will be so lucky this time. This morning, they posted a mandatory evacuation for my zip code starting at noon today. I am not going to be stuck in the evacuation nightmare like we did with Rita in 2005. 9 hours to get to College Station (usually 1.5 hours, tops). This time, I think we are going to ride out the storm at my mother's house. It is a little further south than I would like, but she has it baracaded like a fortress, and bought a generator after Rita... so, hopefully things will be ok. If it looks really bad, we will high-tail it over to my aunt's house on the West side of Houston.

But, I will say this... apparently, it take a hurricane to get me to FINALLY clean out my spare bedroom. But, it is clean now! Now I just need to finish moving things off the porch and we will be all ready. Stupid storm. Grrrrrr.

No comments: