Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Suck It, Ike

I have been without internet since early Saturday morning. I didn't know just how dependent I was on this thing until it was gone.

Hurricane Ike Recap:

The storm came through really early Saturday morning. We had very high winds (110 mph) and rain. About 3 am, I woke up and huddled around a little TV with my Aunt Linda and cousin Lindsey watching Brennan's restaurant burn to the ground. Lindsey was very sad, as her soon-to-be sister-in-law was to have her rehearsal dinner there in just a week's time.

We awoke Saturday morning to find that Larry & Connie's fences had not survived the night, but no other damage to speak of. It continued to rain for a while, but we had a generator, light,s and air conditioning, so we were very fortunate. Sunday afternoon, we cleaned up all of the leaves and branches and enjoyed the cool front that blew through.

Yesterday, we were all still hanging out since work was cancelled. Steve and I have still not been back to our apartment. We have been told there is no power and not to bother coming back home for a few days. My best friend's mother drove by our place and said there didn't appear to be any damage. I may try to run down there tonight and check things out. I am at work today, so at least I have internet.

I do have a ton of things we would like to mock about the media's coverage of the storm, but it is still a little too fresh. I will give it a few days. But, for now, we are safe and sound.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am dependent on the internet. But I knew that pre-Ike.

So sad about Brennan's. I think I texted you about it. That is where we went before prom.